Friday, July 24, 2009

Jaunty Jackalope on Dell Studio 15

I recently bought a Dell Studio 15 laptop. I installed Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) on it. I faced a few problems which my friend Saugata aka Jones and myself resolved one by one.
Initially the problem was with the bluetooth mouse: using this link this problem was resolved.
Next, the problem with sound; The path to success lay in installing and running gnome-alsamixer.

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

and edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to add to the end:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6

So, anyone interested in a Dell Studio 15 (or 17) with the recent versions of Ubuntu should see this site. Unfortunately the original site is in French; so some of the translations could be misleading. For example the 4th column for 'At a glance' table should be read as 'Sound' which runs with Jaunty only after some manipulations.

I still have a problem which has not been resloved; there is a very sharp beep when I logout. It is irritating & sometimes with earphones it can be really a pain in the ears !

1 comment:

  1. It is extremely comforting to see that you have started to blog at last.

    Excellent post. It would help many. But I have a few additions to make.

    1.Jaunty has broken ALSA. So first you have to recompile latest alsa from source.
    2. Then have to tell ALSA, the architecture of the laptop. In this case "options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6" does the trick. But for DELL Latitude laptops I think dell-m6 won't do. For them I have seen a detailed discussion by the community. I am compiling the entire stuff to make a proper howto on Jaunty sound. After I do that I would definitely post the entire solution.
    3. But the sound still doesn't come. Only the spund recorder works. So there was also some other thing that you mentioned to me which needs to be done. Post that too.

    Bluetooth is easy. Apparently bluez doesn't work too well with generic USB devices. That is you have to remove them and let your laptop rediscover them. But the link goes once the laptop is restarted. I have read somewhere to put some file in the home directory which does the bonding at each login. But it doesn't work too. Till the Ubuntu team comes up with a permanent fix we have to stick with this workaround. - "Delete device. Find device. Bond. Work till restart."

    The sound during login & logout should be easily remedied from Sound preferences dialog. Just disable "Play alert sounds".

    ReplyDelete